What does that mean exactly?How does one celebrate their SELF? No, I am not asking that you throw a party in your honor, or that you sit down and console yourself with a day of watching the cooking channel while you snack and cheese and drink wine.
Celebrating yourself goes much deeper than that..for me anyhow.
For me it has everything to do with how I embrace, accept and express myself. Celebrating one’s self is a feeling of being whole and acknowledging ones own potential.
I often here women talk about being powerless and having their power taken….how often I see people say I am going to “take my power back” (yes, I bet you have heard me say that a time or two)
What does that mean? Think about it, are you going to overthrow the King and Queen of Nastyville who stole your power?? What does it really mean? If power is indeed inner strength and light—-how does another person get “inside” to steal it? Do they come like a thief in the night? Or do you hand it over?
I have some challenging questions to present to you…
Can you go to the mirror and look at the reflection and say I love you and really mean it? Can you do that even when the number on the scale isn’t where you want it to be? Even if you failed at the English assignment you worked so hard on? Even when “the boy” you thought was your “everything” dumps you for another?
Can you appreciate yourself? Can you acknowledge what you bring to this world? Can you recognize that light that shines from within you bringing joy and happiness to those around?
Can you be comfortable with WHO you ARE?? Can you allow yourself to be, who you are?
Let me ask you, do you KNOW who you are?
I recently asked a group of post ops to write on a piece of paper their self worth. Write down what you think you are worth. I told them not to share ideas with their neighbor in the next seat because this is a true self learning tool.
I was sad when I heard the answers. Some people listed their amount of weight lost as their self worth. Some listed their Net $ worth. A few listed their material posessions. One lady listed her children and grandchildren.
I am going to going to challenge you to go beyond this, and look a little deeper.
Let’s look at this way..instead of thinking what do I “have” how about what do I “offer” the world?
Let’s do a quick check up from the neck up!! An over haul of your well being. Be honest with yourself, responding to this in reaction or making believe and being in denial will only delay claiming your own personal power.
Tap into your inner strength and assess your life, goals, values, and self-worth. Are you willing to challenge yourself to take on whatever life throws at you, and then become more resilient by having faith and trust in yourself. If so then you’ll feel like celebrating who you are, not just on days when everything seems to be going well, but every day. Don’t be a fair-weather friend to yourself!
- Think about the things you’re passionate about—your desires, likes, wishes, and talents—and write down your top five.Spend some time doing these things. You will love yourself for making this effort.
- Enlarge your vision of life—look beyond your usual vantage point to cultivate an awareness that there are other perspectives worth seeing. Maybe take a look at God’s perspective. If you could only see yourself as God sees you… your heart would surely sing!
- Take responsibility for the life you’re living; that is, the life you’ve created. Decide to be happy and do the things that make you happy. If you don’t like the life you are living, create a new one! You can be and do your heart desires.
- Balance your work with play, which is something that women and men of all ages need. Let your inner child play!
- Strengthen your body’s automatic healing system by getting enough rest and exercise, as well as by eating a healthy diet. You are what you eat, so stopping by the drive through shows you body you don’t have time for it. It takes 5 minutes to make an omelet in the morning. Fresh and made with love.
- Prevent illness by caring for your physical and mental health.Running yourself ragged to get results doesn’t work. The idea is more results for less energy expanded. This is called “passion”.
- Give back by volunteering your time, talents, and/or treasure. Have you ever considered what you “get” by “giving” to others?
Now…. Go gather your power!